浙北英语网

标题: Open Syllables and Closed Syllables [打印本页]

作者: admin    时间: 2013-6-2 21:19
标题: Open Syllables and Closed Syllables
[size=-1]ntroduction of Guided DiscoveryIn my last contribution to The Rag,I talked about the importance of discussing syllable types when teaching reading to beginning readers.  This issue continues my presentation of syllable types  by concentrating on a discussion of the Guided Discovery technique, which can be an extremely efficient means of introducing syllable types, or other grammatical points, in the classroom.
I believe that there are two basic principles in effective teaching:
As teachers, it is our job not only to teach, but to try and ensure that our students remember what we have taught them. Guided Discovery is one way of achieving this goal.
Guided Discovery is based on the principle that if you can get students to discover something on their own, it will be easier for them to understand and remember whatever it is they have discovered. Guided Discovery uses leading questions to achieve this purpose.  Initially, using this technique may take a bit more time in the classroom, but it is an effective use of time because it facilitates comprehension of the rules, making it easier for students to remember.
Using Guided Discovery with Syllable Types
Since new material is normally based on the foundation you have already provided for your students,  if you want to introduce the first syllable type--closed syllables-- start by reviewing the principle of syllables and long and short vowel sounds. After a short review, ask the student to tell you how he/she would know whether a vowel is long or short. At this point, students will probably not be able to give you an answer. Therefore, tell them that you are going to teach them about different syllable types, which will give them important information on how to pronounce the vowel sound within words.
Note: When teaching these principles, remember to make good use of the word 'normally'. This is important because there will always be exceptions to the rules and generalizations that you discuss. These exceptions do not detract from the value of the information you are giving you students, but students have to be aware of them. If you mention this before you start, it will make things easier.
Closed Syllables

Open Syllables

Magic E syllables
The next syllable introduced will depend on the texts you are using in the classroom. However, in most cases, the next syllable will be the magic e syllable.

R Controlled Syllables

Regular Final syllables
                             Double Vowel Syllables
Double vowels are by far the most complex of the syllable types. Here, it is not so much a question of coming up with a definition as noting how different vowel combinations are pronounced. The first two lists you give your students all contain vowel combinations which represent one sound.
Give your students the following list of words:

[size=-1]Group 1[size=-1]Group 2
[size=-1]boat see[size=-1]saw    cause
[size=-1]pain     day [size=-1]draw  pause
[size=-1]boil       toe
Hint: . . Read the words in group 1
Remember to tell students that although 'au' is normally pronounced /au/, it has two common exceptions: laugh, aunt.
Double Trouble Combinations
The first two lists contain vowel combinations which represent only one sound. The last list of words contains a set of different vowel combinations which I call 'double trouble vowel' combinations because they all represent more than one sound.   
When you introduce these vowel combinations will depend of your reading texts. Although, there are generalizations which can be made as to how to pronounce these combinations or when to use them, this will have to be the subject for another discussion.

[size=-1]Oo = /oo/ as in spoon
       /oo/  as in good
[size=-1]ei = /e/ as in ceiling
       /a/  as in reindeer
       /i/   as in eiderdown/their
[size=-1]Ea =  /e/ as in read
       /e/ as  in treasure
       /a/ as in break
[size=-1]
ou    =  /ou/    house
       /oo/     youth  
       /u/      couple
          (cough)
[size=-1]
ue = /oo/ glue
       /u/   argue
[size=-1]
ie     =   /e/     chief
       /i/      tie
[size=-1]It is perhaps fitting to end this discussion of Guided Discovery with double vowel syllables because this syllable type illustrates the complexity of reading in English. This complexity does not detract from the usefulness of teaching syllable types (in general), (and certainly,) because when combined with the technique of Guided Discovery, they make a vital contribution to proficient reading.                                    

欢迎光临 浙北英语网 (https://zbenglish.net/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3