浙北英语网

找回密码
 立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

湖州日报:3名学子入围“希望之星”只有狂人才干的事情!带字幕美国之音慢速英语VOA Special English学英语视频近1000个,自诩为国内最全!适合增加词汇和锻炼听力!点击查看...
查看: 545|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Difficult Questions

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2014-2-25 13:42:20 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
反意疑问句 试题 It must have snowed last night,_____?
内容:
  It must have snowed last night,_____?
A.hasn't it B.didn't it C.wasn't it D.mustn't it

主题:
  must
内容:
  分析:本句中must的意思是:肯定。must表示推测。此时后面的反义问句不用must构成,而是根据must后的助动词来构成。本句中由于有last night,所以用表示过去的助动词did来构成,选B.

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 转播转播 分享分享 分享淘帖
2#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-25 13:50:36 | 只看该作者
It is you who are/is ...
was talking with someone via Facebook. I thought she was wrong, and she wrote back to me: “No, Donna, it is you who are wrong”. Had she left out the word “who” then I believe “are” would be correct, but since she included the word “who” then it changes to singular “you” which would require the word “is”. I believe it shoud read “No, Donna, it is you who is wrong”. Please help me on this grammatical issue.

The pronoun "you" always takes a plural verb, even when the object is singular, as in your example.
Leave out the "who" and you'd have either "you are wrong" or "you is wrong". "Who," in your example, modifies "you." It's neither the subject ("you" is the subject--and there's an example of an exception to the rule I stated initially, but that's because what I'm really saying is "The word {fill in the blank} is the subject") nor the object of the verb "to be."
Hope this helps!

Donna, it's you who are wrong.  The word "who" is not inherently third-person singular; it takes its person and number from the noun it's referring to.  It can be singular or plural, and first person, third person, or (as in your case) second person.

3#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-25 13:55:29 | 只看该作者
Insist on vs Insist in
Are both of the two options possible? if not, which is correct?
Give me examples (senteces) if possible.
Thanks in advance

Hi, I would always use insist on

eg. He insisted on paying
eg. I always insist on the best
I don't think that insist in is correct, not in British English anyway.
Hope that helps.

How about "To insist in the face of adversity"??

Sorry, I think I was wrong, exist in, is only possible in the example I gave, to use" in" you have to use "persist in"
So sorry but it has to be insist on
4#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-25 14:07:40 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 David 于 2014-2-25 14:10 编辑

I have two questions on the verb 'dare'. Which one is correct:'I wouldn't dare to ask.' or 'Iwouldn't dare ask.' or 'I wouldn't dare asking.'? Why? Which one is correct: 'He dare do it.' or 'He dare to do it.' or 'He dare doing it.' or 'He dares do it.' or 'He dares to do it.' or 'He dares doing it.'? Why? Thank you very much for your help.
The verbs need and dare sometimes function as modal (auxiliary) verbs and sometimes as regular (lexical -- which would use an infinitive) verbs. Both verbs are called "marginal modal auxiliaries." In the modal construction, we would write: "He dare not go now." "Dare he go now?" "No solder dare disobey." "No one dare predict." In the lexical construction, you could write: "He dares to go now." "He doesn't dare to go now." "Does he dare to go now?"
[size=-1]Authority: A University Grammar of English by Randolph Quirk and Sidney Greenbaum. Longman Group: Essex, England. 1993.

dare  (dâr)
v.dared, dar·ing, dares
v.tr.1. To have the courage required for: The gymnast dared a breathtakingly difficult move.
2. To challenge (someone) to do something requiring boldness: They dared me to dive off the high board.
3. To confront or oppose boldly. See Synonyms at defy.

v.intr. To be courageous or bold enough to do or try something: Go ahead and dive if you dare.

v.aux. To be courageous or bold enough to: I dare not say. How dare she go?

n. An act of daring; a challenge.

Usage Note: Depending on its sense, the verb dare sometimes behaves like an auxiliary verb (such as can or may) and sometimes like a main verb (such as want or try). When used as an auxiliary verb, dare does not change to agree with its subject: Let him say that if he dare. It also does not combine with do in questions, negations, or certain other constructions: Dare we tell her the truth? I dare not mention their names. Finally, it does not take to before the verb that follows it: If you dare breathe a word about it, I'll never speak to you again. When used as a main verb, dare does agree with its subject (If he dares to show up at her house I'll be surprised), and it does combine with do (Did anyone dare to admit it?). It may optionally take to before the verb following it: No one dares (or dares to) speak freely about the political situation. The auxiliary forms differ subtly in meaning from the main verb forms in that they emphasize the attitude or involvement of the speaker while the main verb forms present a more objective situation. Thus How dare you operate this machinery without proper training? expresses indignation at the action, whereas How do you dare to operate this machinery without proper training? is a genuine request for information. When dare is used as a transitive verb meaning "challenge," only main verb forms are possible and to is required: Anyone who dares him to attempt it will be sorry.

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-25 14:22:57 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 David 于 2014-2-25 14:24 编辑

but for - Phrases/Idioms Except for, were it not for.  For example, But for the afternoon shower, it was a perfect day, or But for the children, they would have gotten a divorce long ago.

But for the railing, I'd have fallen down the stairs. But for the children, Mrs. Smith would have left her husband years ago
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-25 14:58:02 | 只看该作者
If you don't go, neither ____. A、shall I B、do
同学你好~因为If you don't go 表示将来,如果你不去的话,
而shall作为助动词可以与动词原形一起构成一般将来时,比do更好。            
7#
发表于 2014-3-27 00:22:13 | 只看该作者

paper hangtag waiting for a plane

it means that the sector is doing very well
By 2000, the chain had expanded to 14 locations across Canada. While I'm at it I thought I'd include a sampling of some of the other looks that will be coming. paper hangtag At the wall membrane from his or her house, when hanged an enormous is effective with Murakami, Marc Jake said his picture brought to you a setting connected with positive outlook, everyday you actually checked that, you would turned out to be optimist.
(At the same time they distinguished themselves from heterosexuals, who are now described as straight.) Now that the in-word gay has been usurped of its previous meaning, a straight person would think twice (maybe even three or four times) about attending a gay party!.
Big wins from Josh Lutey, Tate Vineyard and a huge win paper hang tag from Ethan Dunlap (1st varsity win EVER) sealed the deal. However they managed to regain their foot hold and restore profitability and thankfully, the brand is still going strong today, although the Calvin Klein brand is now owned by the Philip van Heusen Corporation. hangtags
Since then, one person with knowledge of the discussions indicated the Mets were close to a resolution with either player. Whether hangtag  but he escapes with Nyanko-sensei's help. u don't have a local gym or paper hang tag 000 the fee's are to much monthly at home learning base systems are a great way to get your foot in the cage plus an easy way to to start to get involed in mma..
This iconic sport brand deals in sports like Volleyball, Cricket, Football, Basketball, Hokey, Tennis, Squash and Badminton. Is to support him. She got into the high school of the performing arts. Isolating apartheid South Africa from major events such as the world cups of cricket (1975-1992) and rugby -- from 1987 to the famous 1995 event, hosted by a newly democratic South Africa at which Nelson Mandela famously wore the Springbok jersey hang tag hang tag  that's a huge responsibility.". -- gained massive attention, and did not rely on complicated sanction measures, or paper hang tags hangtags  rather than a cheerful dinosaur. buy-ins from consumers in paper hangtags c other areas..
First we have the California market at the downtown area of the paper hangtags Los Angeles. Sitting in hangtag Cleveland, waiting for a plane, I reached in my pocket for scrap paper to write a phone number on and found the epistle for last Sunday. To read her priceless information about handbag manufacturers, please click here distribuidores de maletas.
know we will be able to pack up a few cars and take it with us when we go visit friends too. We will only -- scarcity in the midst of hang tags abundance. When putting together an outfit, the typical thought it to match everything to the clothing. And we are very sure that your mom will certainly be delighted to receive indoor bonsai.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|典范英语|Oxford在线词典|在线查词典|每日签到|浙北英语网 ( 蜀ICP备10032068号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 19:02 , Processed in 0.067749 second(s), 28 queries .