浙北英语网

找回密码
 立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

湖州日报:3名学子入围“希望之星”只有狂人才干的事情!带字幕美国之音慢速英语VOA Special English学英语视频近1000个,自诩为国内最全!适合增加词汇和锻炼听力!点击查看...
查看: 729|回复: 0

Private school interview questions

[复制链接]
发表于 2018-10-7 21:09:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Many private schools interview students as part of the admissions process. Especially for middle and high school, you may be asked to come in for at least one interview, either with or without your parents.
Interviews can be an important factor in admissions decisions. Along with transcripts, report cards, tests, essays, and other application materials, they help schools determine whether you’re a good fit.
It’s important, then, to be ready for your private school interview. You’ll want to prepare answers that are specific, detailed, and that reveal who you are and why you’re interested in a school.
On the other hand, avoid “over preparing.” Schools dislike canned or highly rehearsed answers, or answers that look like they’re playing to the audience. They prefer honest and considered answers.
Below, we list some common private school interview questions. For your convenience, you can also print this list of questions. These are organized by category: questions about yourself, your non-school interests, your school interests, your suitability for a school, your beliefs and values, and the school itself.
We also provide tips for answering these questions. While there’s no right or perfect answer to any question, and answers will vary between students, there are some key pointers to keep in mind.
Questions about yourself
It’s common for private schools to ask you questions about yourself. They want to get a sense of the kind of person you are, and how you see yourself. They want to learn about your strengths and weaknesses, aims, goals, values, and more.
  • Describe yourself or tell me more about yourself.
  • Tell me a bit about your family.
  • What are three of your strengths and three areas of growth or challenges?
  • What three adjectives best describe your personality?
  • What personal achievement are you most proud of?
Tips: Your answers should be clear, specific, and detailed. For instance, in describing yourself, don’t just list personality traits, such as confidence, curiosity, and empathy. Instead, give specific examples: “I’ve always been fascinated by space exploration.” And when focusing on challenges, be sure to explain how you’re trying to overcome or work through them.
Questions about non-school interests
To get a more complete picture of you, schools may ask about your interests outside of school. They’ll want to learn about your talents, hobbies, and passions, whether in the arts, sports, history, science, or some other area. They may also size up your interest in current events.
  • What do you read outside of school?
  • Tell us more about what you do outside of school.
  • What extracurricular activities are you interested in?
  • If you could meet anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would you meet and why?
  • What has happened recently in current events that interests you?
Tips: Be prepared to speak about at least one or two interests in earnest. Make sure these interests are, well, interesting: while playing a musical instrument qualifies, watching TV doesn’t. You should also be prepared to speak intelligently about at least one current event.  
Questions about school interests and attitudes
Your school interests and attitudes may also be covered in the interview. Many schools like to learn about how you view school, in a way that may not come across in report cards, transcripts, or other application materials.
  • What is your favourite subject, and why do you like it?
  • What is your least favourite subject, and why do you dislike it?
  • Have you ever had trouble communicating with a teacher or coach, and if so, what did you do?
  • Have you had any other conflicts at school, and if so, how did you deal with them?
Tips: Give thoughtful and detailed answers. For instance, explain why you like a subject: “I like math, because I enjoy solving difficult problems.” Don’t be overly negative in expressing your dislike of certain aspects of school, and don’t mention specific names of teachers or staff you’ve had problems with.
Questions about your suitability for a school
To determine whether you’re a good fit, you may be asked why you’re interested in attending, how you can benefit from a school, and what you will bring to it.
  • Why are you interested in our school? Why do you want to enroll here?
  • Why should we select you?
  • How will you benefit from attending this school?
  • In what ways have your experiences prepared you to attend this school?
  • What gifts and talents can you bring to this school?
Tips: Give specific reasons for why you’re a good fit. For instance, “I’ve always been interested in social justice and am excited to take part in your community service program.” Don’t say you’re applying to a school “because your parents want you to.” And avoid ‘bootlicking’: “I've heard your school is the best.”
Questions about your beliefs/values
Many schools like to get a sense of some of your core beliefs and values. They’ll want to learn whether they square with their own.
  • What does it mean to be a good member of a community?
  • If your best friend asked you if they could copy your homework, what would you do?
  • What would you do if you did not make a team you really wanted to play for?
Tips: Give honest and reflective answers. Avoid non-starters such as “I don’t know.” On the other hand, you don’t want to oversimplify things, with short, curt answers, such as “that’s easy, I wouldn’t let him copy my homework.” Give details: explain why.
Questions about the school
Don’t be surprised if you’re asked if you have any questions about a school. This is a common way to gauge your level of interest. It can also reveal what interests you about the school.
  • Do you have any questions about our school?
  • Do you have any concerns about our school?
Tips: It’s normally a mistake to answer “no.” Be prepared with one or two questions. Ask something that shows you’re really interested in some feature of the school, such as academics, extracurriculars, or student life.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|典范英语|Oxford在线词典|在线查词典|每日签到|浙北英语网 ( 蜀ICP备10032068号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 05:08 , Processed in 0.065672 second(s), 29 queries .